Minutes of February 20, 2019 Board Meeting
The regular meeting of the Yaak School Board of Trustees was called to order by Chairperson, Pam Fuqua, at 3:30 p.m. on Wednesday, February 22, 2019 at the Yaak School. Pam opened the meeting and stated that the meeting was being recorded.
Trustees Present: Pam Fuqua, Trish Lauer and Sandy Beder-Miller
Others Present: Diane Downey, District Clerk, Rose Wilson and Bill Sullivan.
The minutes from the January 23, 2019 board meeting were reviewed. Trish moved that the January minutes be accepted as presented, Sandy seconded and Pam concurred.
Ani, one of the 5th graders gave a presentation on gems relating to her science class.
- Nothing new to report on foundation funding.
- A meeting to go over the social studies curriculum that we are looking to buy will be scheduled for next week. Diane went over the funding from Title IVA that is ear marked for this new online program.
- At this time Todd Lark our E-Rate Consultant did a remote presentation to let the board know what our plan for the 2019 e-rate plan. Todd fielded questions from the board. The board asked Todd to forward their response to MontanaSkyNet’s requirements that where laid out regarding items they want written into the bid that they will submit. The Board approved the category 2 bid to upgrade our network. We will wait to see if MontanaSkyNet submits a bid for the fiber project. If we do not get a proposal from them we will continue using Hughes Net for our internet.
- We have a new kindergarten student. Two students may be moving.
- The Schweitzer field trip is planned for February 27th.This trip will exhaust all the funds that were ear marked for field trips from the 2016 Fair. Rose has asked that the board consider earmarking 2019 Fair dollars for future field trips.
- The 5th grade class has been studying rocks and minerals and Rose would like the board to consider a field trip for just the 5th graders to go and see the Sapphire mines.
- Rose reviewed the bid we got for the new social studies curriculum. The bid was for just 2nd, 3rd, and 5th grades and came in at just under $1,200.00. The curriculum committee will meet Tuesday the 26th at 2:30 p.m. to review the program. Eureka Math has added a student work book for next year which Rose feels is not needed as the information in this workbook can be photo copied from the teacher edition as those work sheets are covered in the teacher’s edition.
- Rose mentioned that student counts may be increasing as the pastor and his wife are becoming licensed foster parents.
- Rose gave the board an update on how the Before and After School Education and Safety (B.A.S.E.S.) program is working.
- Pam read the resolution calling for a trustee election. The election will be held by mail ballot. Trish moved to except the resolution, Sandy seconded and Pam concurred. Diane reminded everyone of the deadline for submitting declaration of intent.
- Diane reported that the Spring Student Count was at 10. This will be the number used for the ANB on the 2019-20 Budget Data Sheets.
Clerk’s Report, Financials & Expenditures:
- The CRDC report has been submitted. Transportation funds will be paid to our new student @ $2.10 per day. This will not have an impact on our budget that would force us to do a budget amendment. Diane presented the information she gathered regarding the online preschool grant that she presented at the last meeting.
- December Financials balanced with the Treasurer’s office were reviewed. The December Fund 115 spread sheet was reviewed and balances with the County Treasurer. Trish moved that the December Financials be approved as presented, Sandy seconded, and Pam concurred. January reports have not yet come from the Treasurer. February to date expenditures were reviewed. (see attached reports for detail)
Clean updated copies of last month’s reviewed policies were presented to the board for placement in their policy books. Policies 3120 and 3123 changes were reviewed and approved. Policies R 3311, R 3410 and REC 3413 were reviewed and no changes were needed.
Next Regular Meeting: March 20, 2019 @ 3:30 p.m.
Meeting was adjourned at 5:05 p.m.
Respectfully submitted by: Diane Downey, District Clerk